Friday, August 11, 2006

Waited Long Enough

I have waited long enough to rant about this one. I figured, since I'm on a roll with TeenScreen, I might as well go for it with this lovely thought for the day:

With the "100% success" of the HPV vaccine in trials on over 11,000 women, how long do you think it will be before this vaccine is required for admission to schools? Well, according to the CDC, not long at all. I give it 3 years, tops before you who send your kids to the government schools are forced to vaccinate your kids against this sexually transmitted disease in order to receive that "free appropriate education". By the way, as with most things, that education is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

You may think I 'm being alarmist, but look here and here.

Ahhh, but there is a chink in this savior's armor. From The National Cancer Institute's own website:

"Limitations

The vaccine tested in this study has several limitations, noted NCI’s Hildesheim. For one thing, the vaccine offers no protection against other types of HPV that can also cause cervical cancer. In addition, it’s unknown whether the vaccine’s protection against HPV-16 is long-lasting. Finally, it does not prevent HPV-16 infections already present at the time of vaccination from progressing to cancer."

I wonder if those angry folks in the previous links read this info and discarded it, or if they read it at all? It seems they are just happy for the chance to name call and paint us as crazy folks. Crazy because actually think that avoiding STDs is best done by avoiding the premarital S part of the disease. I also think avoiding electrocution is best done by using electrical sockets the way they were created to be used. Does that make me afraid of, or anti-electricity?

I'd love to know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment