Thursday, August 17, 2006

Ho-Ly Cow

Well, God is a merciful God, indeed. The first 3 days of homeschooling took FOREVER. We weren't finished until 6 or 7PM each night. I thought I would surely have to become an alcoholic to survive the year ahead.

But...today was a different story. The kidlets worked well and efficiently, as did the mom, and we were finished at a more reasonable 1PM. God willing, the first 3 days are an anomaly, not to be experienced again. Rather they are to be seen with the humor of hindsight, as in, "Remember those awful three days back in 2006? Man, that was so funny!"

Interestingly, those have been the toughest days of homeschooling yet. Since I am starting year five, I found that somewhat surprising. Even more surprising, though, was the fact that, although the days were unpleaseant at best, I was still wholeheartedly committed to homeschooling. (Normally, I try to avoid unpleasantness in any way possible, so this was quite an experience for me.)

I am convinced of the fruit of this labor. I see this fruit every day, as I address the sinfulness in my kids right away, and when I am challenged to address my own sin toward those I hold most dear. As usual, it boils down to time. The only way to really know my kids is to be with them. The only way to impart the teaching that God requires of us parents is to make the time to do it.

This job is hard. And--don't tell anyone--I am lazy. Worse than that, I can't do this job on my own strength. Thankfully, I serve an awesome God, who can equip me to do this. How great is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment