Friday, May 18, 2007

The District


That's what the locals call it, and I am quite confident it they use caps when they do.
I spent last week in D.C. meeting up with a lifetime friend and a couple of other gals whom I have known for a while now. It has taken me nearly the week to recover from the time difference, but I am getting there. Leaving is always nice because it makes me want to get back home. For that alone it is a good thing.


My initial impressions were very different from what I expected. I found it to be a beautiful place with a real sense of purpose. It was as though the seriousness of the work that goes on there was tangible. Of course the sense of history is impossbile to miss, with every spot having some major siginificance to our nation, albeit the world. It is not crowded or dirty (I guess that's just New York), and I felt very safe where I was. Granted I didn't venture out to the sketchy areas, but then again, why would I?


The whole family will head back for a "field trip" this fall, and I expect we will have a great time. For those of you who have never been (like me) I recommend you make a point to go there. Ours is an incredible nation, invented by incredible men. The place where it all began is a pilgrimage every American should make.

No comments:

Post a Comment