Monday, July 24, 2006

Cultural Excursion--It really is a small world



Returned last night from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. It was like another world. In both the good and bad ways. Wide, open farmland--good. Beautiful old buildings--good. Scores of Amish folks who cease education at the 8th grade--I'm gonna go out on a political limb, here and say, bad. Amishbuggyrides.com--Hmm...I don't really know about that one.


I was there less than a week, and stayed entirely in Lancaster county. It was like rewinding the clock to a different time. A time before I was a kid, that's for sure. People were courteous. Every door was held for me by a gentleman, teenaged or older. Waitresses smiled, and were genuinely pleasant. Not the just-finished-a-3-week-training-on-courteous-service kind of pleasant, either. These people were actually nice.

On the universality note, I saw Hibiscus plants for sale, albeit greatly different from the ones I see here in the Pacific rim. A friend and I saw God's beautiful creation and adorable children as we rode in one of those Amish buggys. She got groped by our eldery driver as I snapped of photo of the two of them. I guess sinners are everywhere. Go figure.

Oh by the way, some of the towns in the county are Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Virginivlle, and Blue Ball. Yes, these are towns named by those sweet innocent looking Amish folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment