Saturday, June 09, 2007

Perpetuating Stereotypes


Girl-A-Thon and a friend have been taking an embriodery class with 12 other girls. They are learning how to embroider, which is the point of the class. However, nothing is ever simple with 14 girls (except what I will write in my next post). A few days into the class, Girl-A-Thon and her friend decided to do their embroidery while in the character of medieval princesses. Unfortunately, this is, um...totally not cool. Some of the other girls began to make fun of them, at which point the teacher told the two (obviously improperly socialized) girls that they were asking to be teased, by acting like that. Thus in one fell swoop, stereotypes on both sides have been reinforced.

I have begun to reply to the most un-original question about homeschooling ("Aren't you worried about socialization?") with, "What do you mean by that?" Because, at our house, we have thought quite extensively about socialization; not in general, but in particular. We have determined that all socialization is not created equal.(Geniuses, aren't we?) And though I'm yet to have anyone actually formulate a reply to my question about socialization, I am quite capable of describing our family's thoughts on the same. My answer is actually quite long, and even backed with empirical data. (What a nerd. I wonder what kind of teasing I am asking for?)

The answer, for the parents who would take the time to think critically (ooh, educationese!) about socialization, is that they worry (for me) that my kids won't be able to survive as the fittest. Of course the difficulty here, is that we aren't seeking the same goal for our kids. I don't want my kids to be top of the heap in 6th or 7th or 10th grade. I have this crazy notion that my kids should seek to glorify God in all they say and do. Speaking from experience, observation, and yes, empirical data, that is simply not going to happen in a sea of other children. Furthermore, the adults strolling along the shores of that sea usually repsond to what I would defitinitely call anti-social behavior with a flippant "What did you expect? You're weird if you're nice (or innocent, or don't know who Paris Hilton is, etc.)"

Thus we remain a decidedly homeschooling family.

2 comments:

  1. I am getting more and more annoyed with the question, "What about socialization?" It's asked as if I haven't given a thought to that, and it's asked assuming that the way traditional schools do it is the right way. I like how you put it back on the person who is asking. I'd like to do that with the "What curriculum do you use?" question, too!

    My kids certainly aren't perfect, but they can get along with and converse pleasantly with babies, toddlers, children, teenagers, young adults, their parents' friends, and the elderly. That's the kind of socialization I have in mind.

    Glad for friends like you and your family with whom we can "socialize"! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto! I am so grateful for the network of like-minded families we have. God has been really merciful to give us that.

    ReplyDelete