Thursday, June 21, 2007

Cranky Old Mom

I guess that's what I've become. Now, anyone who knows me knows I like to have fun, and I do think I crack a funny joke here and there. However, I am finding it more and more difficult to enjoy what is meant to be mindless entertainment. I'm speaking about the movies.

I have always immensely enjoyed going to the movies. I even enjoy bad movies, because I like to think about what makes a movie good or bad. However, at the risk of sounding like a grumpy ol' grandma, there are themes these days that would never have made the cut for PG in my day. (Disclaimer: I did walk to school in the snow, and it was uphill--one way--but I don't think that should discredit my opinion here.)

The latest flick to cause me to shake my head (actually, I was making sarcastic jabs to my friend) is the new Nancy Drew movie. There are several really stupid messages in this movie (I won't even address the pre-teen mantra: if-you-dress-like-a-tart-and-treat-people-with-disgust-you-are-normal), not the least of which is this one from Kids In Mind:

MESSAGE - Forbidding a child from doing something that they love will make them go on doing it, but in secret.

How very UN-Nancy Drew.

Some other messages:
1. Throwing a wild party and trashing your house will make your dad "proud of you". (Yes, that is an actual quote from Carson Drew)

2. When disobeying your dad, ask 2 boys who are smitten with you. If they think it's OK, then it is OK.

3. Finally winning the approval of teen girls who are cruel to you, and dress like Steven Tyler, will make you feel good about yourself.


The rest of the movie is cute and corny and fun for the intended demographic. I couldn't really recommend it, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment