Thursday, February 01, 2007

Personhood, Part One

This is the first in a series of posts I hope to get off my chest. I also hope to rattle your cage a bit, and get you thinking about something I fear we GenXers will surely see worsen.

For a while now, I have been plagued by what a friend of mine calls our culture of death. He asserts that some time ago, as a culture, we turned a corner and are now more comfortable with ending lives than saving them. (It's nearly impossible to argue with him, given the every day use of tidy phrases like "mercy killing" and "pregnancy termination".)

For whatever reason, this particular topic disturbs me at the core of my being. Now I know it seems obvious that it would, but this, above all other horrors in the world, truly grieves my soul. I literally become dumbstruck in conversations about the value of a human life. It is because, this, more than any other truth should be held as self evident. How is it even possible that a human being would argue against its own worth or right to live? I suppose it makes sense when we consider that those who don't value human life aren't including themselves in the discussion; but the mental acrobatics required for that to make any sort of sense is just too much for me.

An Actual Inconvenient Truth
Regardless of the more polite terminology, the bottom line is that inconvenient people are legally killed. Whether it is bad timing to have a baby, or a confused, incontinent grandpa, these people take too much effort to maintain. Our society that loves convenience has somehow stealthily slid into sanctioning the killing of others who may be a burden to someone else. Charming, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment