Thursday, October 05, 2006

Quote of the Day

"It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not."

-- John Adams (letter to Abigail Adams, 3 July 1776)

Reference: Our Sacred Honor, Bennett (64)


What would our country look like if we still had leaders like this man today? (Big sigh.)

4 comments:

  1. Have you read David McCullough's book on John Adams? It's one of the best books I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't. I'll have to read it, though, if it comes with that recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:36 PM

    Most Americans conveniently forget that the freedoms the Constitution provides to each of us came with a high and heavy price. And furthermore, they take for granted those freedoms every day.

    There are few men of intelligence, courage, and integrity left in this world, and I am married to one of them. Adams, Washington, and Lincoln were shining examples of a dead and dying breed. It would have been an honor and a privilege to know them, and to follow them into battle for this great country.

    ReplyDelete