Saturday, October 28, 2006

"The God of Wind, The God of Earth, The God of Whatnot"

That is a funny quote from my friend Irmgard, as she told me the details of a fictional book she's been reading.

I have had the distinct pleasure of visiting with this older woman for the past two days. She is really amazing. As a young teenage girl she fled East Prussia (now Germany) when the Russians invaded. The stories she has to tell of her survival are truly incredible, and they are made even more awesome by her gift of telling them. Her great memory and creativity make the stories come to life. It is my deep regret that I thought of recording these stories after the fact. History is fascinating to me, and to hear first hand accounts told so well, has been a real treat. God bless you, Irmgard.

No comments:

Post a Comment