Friday, October 20, 2006

COL Rant

The Cost Of Living in Hawaii is insane. I know this. I have lived here long enough to have the shock factor become dulled. HOWEVER, there are some shockers that are so psychotic they pierce my calloused sensibilities.

Case in point: Electricity.
We have lots of gadgets and doo-hickeys at our house--let's just say it is fun here. Many of these goodies are powerd by electricity. It's kind of interesting to be reminded about that when, say, there is an earthquake, and the electricity is out for a day. It is an entirely different kind of interesting, though, when you open up the elctric bill, only to discover that it is THREE TIMES ITS NORMAL COST. Apparently, the folks at HECo have a magic math formula they use to charge for electriciy. You see, once you use more than X amount of electricity (a predetermined average of what they believe a houseshold should use) you get charged an extra amount per kilowatt hour. I'm going to call it the EF* factor.

Well, I almost feel better. I have to go unplug everything and turn out the lights.

*:Electric Faloha--not a dance or a cocktail.

No comments:

Post a Comment