Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Wendy Whiner

I realize now that much of my hesitation to blog lately is because I'm in a funk. It's been very stressful for a couple of years, and I rarely suffer in silence. Believe it or not, my scarcity of blogposts has been to spare the world of my kvetching. But lately, I've realized how much I need to be writing my thoughts and feelings. So, I'm trying to begin to write more regularly. (Not sure if it's particularly wise to be writing them publicly, so we'll see what makes it here.)

A few weeks ago, our family ran into a couple that used to attend our church. (I don't know why they left, but have ceased to give a rip when a family does. One left over the "ugly tile" in the women's restroom. I'm not kidding.) The woman of this couple used to attend a bible study that I hosted on Wednesday mornings in my home. I had two grammar school kids then and was a homeschooling newbie. She never missed an opportunity to tell me her concerns about the long term effects of homeschooling my children. Which means that at least once a week, I got her $.02.

Anyway, She hadn't seen our family in about 4 years. The Kids-A-Thon are big teens now, so it was a surprise for her to see them "all grown up." The first words from her to me were, "I was hoping you had given that homeschooling UP." Girl-A-Thon then began to explain how she and her brother also attend a few classes at a Christian school and they enjoy being at home and having a chance to be in a classroom. At this the woman said to Girl-A-Thon, "Well, I am VERY glad to hear that! You know, you need to have friends, and not be stuck with mom all day!"

I did not say a word in reply.
This is proof that He who has begun a good work in me has not left me!

Now if I can just forgive and let go of the indignant frustration I have for this person, God can move on to another area of repairing my heart :-)

1 comment:

  1. I love to read what you write- mostly because I love to listen to what you have to say! Even when you are ranting, you are entertaining. :) You have always been a blessing to me on the other end of this spectrum too. You loved and encouraged me as I made the transition from homeschooling to public schooling. Even if it's not the right choice for your family, you let us make those choices for our family- without criticizing us!! I see more and more each day how appropriate your blog title really is. Why does this Mom thing have to be such a competition?!

    ReplyDelete