Friday, February 08, 2008

What I Did on My Winter Vacation

All but Teen-A-Thon and I have been skiing in Utah for the past week. This has given me some much appreciated ALONE TIME. (That along with sleep are the only things I miss from the BK (Before Kids) life. So, not wanting to waste a grand opportunity, I have been having a very pleasant week. It has taken me 38 years, but I believe I have finally learned to balance time between stuff I should do and stuff I want to do. So! Here's what I've been up to:

  1. Thanking God for a healthy family.
  2. Volunteering at our church's school's open house. At lunch afterward, I realized that I cannot oder food without my husband. This, is a good thing, if you ask me! I rarely go out to eat without him, and I pretty much love all food. So he orders and I eat half of his food :-)
  3. Enjoying one-on-one time with Teen-A-Thon as she prepares for delivery and placing her baby with a wonderful family.
  4. Shopping for bedding, jeans that fit, and a pasta attachment for the KitchenAid. (AKA: Letting Teen-A-Thon have time alone at the house with her friend who moved back.)
  5. Grading school work from the previous week, getting assignment sheets ready for the Kids-A-Thon return.
  6. Having a long overdue lunch with a dear friend.
  7. Beginning a new Latin curriculum--gotta stay ahead of the students!
  8. Having a long overdue dinner with another great friend.
  9. Getting a massage
  10. Touring Doris Duke's home, Shangri-La, with a dear friend.
  11. Pilates. Elliptical.
  12. Waxing.
  13. Seeing the movie Juno with a great friend--You really have to see that movie.
  14. Shampooing living room carpet, Girl-A-Thon's rug, and desk chair. (It really is gross that that is all in there!)
  15. Reviewing school schedule for next year.
  16. Preparing to form an Omnibus I hui with some of the most fantastic women you could ever hope to know.

Wow, am I blessed in the friend department, or what?

The list is not exhaustive, but as I see it there, it probably does lean a little heavily to the want to do side of life. But I'm okay with that. I know that when my home is again full, that list leans plenty far the other way.

I've also learned or remembered a few things this week:

  • I cannot order food out without my husband.
  • My entire life revolves around my husband and children--this is a GOOD thing, by the way.
  • God has given me a life rich in friendships, full of good work, and blessed beyond measure.

So, any young moms who are at times overwhelmed, know that it is truly a season. We do get our alone time back--in spurts. And I wouldn't change a thing. Before I know it, five or six years will have blipped by, and I will have more alone time than I know what to do with!

2 comments:

  1. Alone time. What's that?:) Other than the obvious, I am really looking forward to the plane ride to Hawaii. A lot of alone time there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you will cherish it, I'm sure :-)

    ReplyDelete