Monday, December 17, 2007

Be Afraid...Very Afraid

I have finally begun to read I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe. A friend gave it to me a very long time ago, and I just haven't had the spare moments to get into it. Now, days before we start our Christmas break from school (can I get an Amen?) I have begun the book.

Tom Wolfe is said to be a keen social observer. A description with which I must agree. His prolific writing includes both fiction and non, and there is no possible way I could tell you who he is, if you don't already know. But if you don't, please go read this.

I read the preface which refers to a study done on cats in which their amygdalas were removed. I am already scared about what lies ahead. (I know this sounds nutty but it all makes sense--I promise.) The book is about undergraduate life at a prestigious American university. Though he did research on several campuses, the rumour is that the story is taken mainly from events on the campus of Duke University. The premise is that peer pressure and the anything goes wild life of undergrads is too much for any young adult to resist. As a parent--and pre-Charlotte Simmons--I believe that we can instill values (and the courage to hold to them) in our kids. I'll keep you updated as to how that goes as I am reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment