Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ahh Vindication!


The cover of Time magazine caught my eye today. This article proved to make the purchase worthwhile.

Back in 1998 I had to deal with the issue of "Autism Spectrum Disorder" (ASD). It was not my idea of a good time, and changed me forever. As a young mother I was forced to learn that people are ruthless, uncaring, and well, jerks. (Shouldn't have been a newsflash, I know, but it was a newsflash to me.)

Whilst (love that word) researching, digesting, and learning as much as I could about ASD, I came to believe that there were both genetic and environmental components to this "disorder." As I described this to others I would say, "It's like some kids are born with a switch in the 'off' position, and something happens to them to turn that switch on."

Well, it would appear that there is now great evidence to show that is likely the case. A relatively new field of genetics has emerged, "epigenetics." This field argues that, though we cannot alter genomes and pass those alterations to our offspring, we can alter the epigenome, and that change can indeed be passed on to our offspring. The epigenome, for lack of a better analogy, is a switch--or maybe more accurately a volume nob--that can be emphasized or de-emphasized by choices we make in our lives.

It feels good to have "real science" behind a gut instinct. But it is every bit as good a feeling--maybe better--to be in a position that no longer needs the condescending pat on the head.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next several years. I hope I get to see questions answered, peace for families, and quite honestly--I hope to see heads roll.

1 comment: